Monday 8 June 2015

Diving and Writing – some of my favourite activities

I love any sort of diving: scuba, snorkelling... and I love writing. Finding opportunities to combine the two for travel articles or short stories is always a pleasure.


I wrote a piece of flash fiction based on a real experience cage diving with Great Whites in South Africa. The Great White is a much maligned animal and whilst it must be treated with respect, it is not a mindless killer! I was astonished by its sheer beauty. My story was published on the Cafelit website.










5 comments:

  1. I follow CafeLit so I must have read it. Is there a way of tracking old stories on their site?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a brave lady, Susan. I wouldn't even swim with goldfish!

    Helen/TN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lizy, I'm pretty sure there's a search option on their website.

    Helen - you might surprise yourself. I find all wildflife encounters thrilling rather than frightening and I was so excited at the prospect of seeing Great Whites face to face that it didn't even occur to me to be afraid. I was more nervous about entering the very chilly water, than meeting the shark... really!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating creatures, but I'm not brave enough to get that close!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first learned to dive I was pretty nervous at the idea of diving with sharks, Linda, but I changed my mind after my first sighting.

      Delete

Many thanks for commenting. I appreciate your feedback.