Thursday 10 November 2016

SWAN SONG - A Poem

Earlier this year we decided to get a puppy. She has been the perfect excuse to go for daily walks down to my local beach.



Every day is different. The light on the water changes all the time. Sometimes the bay looks dramatic and foreboding, sometimes soft and gentle. Whatever the season, it is always beautiful.




The swans are returning to spend the winter here and watching them on my dog walking escapades is a joy. 

Now, I would never describe myself as a poet, but I do occasionally dabble with poetry and enter the odd poem in a monthly online competition. 



How could I not feel inspired by these glorious birds?

Aren't they poetic?












My poem is not strictly a haiku, even though it follows the syllable 'rule'.









SWAN SONG


Day dawns pink, and clear
across the bay swans breakfast
on sedges and weeds



Do let me know if you've enjoyed this post and I'll see you in a couple of weeks.











26 comments:

  1. Thank you, Susan, I did enjoy that breath of sea air. You're right about swans being poetic, very photogenic too, especially in such a beautiful setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linda - always good to know when someone has enjoyed my post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't they gorgeous creatures? The puppy's cute too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the swans are so majestic - unlike young Rosie who is cute and gangly!

      Delete
  4. Aaaw, cute dog.

    Yes, swans do seem poetic and I enjoyed the pictures and haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Words and pictures in perfect harmony. I can see the sea from my window as I write this. It's an ever changing landscape and so inspirational.


    Visit Keith's Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing about a sea view is that it's never static, is it, Keith? I know you could argue that landscapes change with the seasons, but those changes are a slow progression, whereas the sea can change on an hourly basis. It's probably what I love most about having a sea view from my home.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ignore me – I'm just testing your settings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The post was wondrous, Susan. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Sandra - I'm very happy to know that you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. She really is! Has us at her beck and call. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your puppy looks like the dog we had for 12 years. Tugged on my heart strings to see your little pooch. Lovely photos Susan. Really enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Sue. Rosie is a cockerpoo - I fell in love with this 'breed' when I met a friend's cockerpoo puppy. They seem to inherit the best traits from their cocker spaniel/poodle parents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Any excuse that gets you outside to enjoy nature is a good one. When you have great company to enjoy it with, it's bonus time :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed the post. A walk on the beach with a friendly young pup sounds like a wonderful way to spend some time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Bun. Yes, my dog is great motivator to get out of the house and appreciate the beautiful scenery around here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful post... Love the swans and your puppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bjorn - thanks for dropping by and nice to know you enjoyed this post. :)

      Delete
  18. What a peaceful scene you set, Susan. Love your haiku and those swan photos - sublime! Not a bad pup either :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Alison - thanks for dropping by and glad to hear you enjoyed this post. :)

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for commenting. I appreciate your feedback.