Wednesday 12 August 2020

A STAR IS BORN - 100 word story

 I visited Hollywood a long time ago and will never forget the thrill of spotting the hand prints of my favourite movie stars. 



PHOTO PROMPT -Copyright-Rochelle Wisoff-Fields



A STAR IS BORN

He stood 5’4”. Bandy legs protruded from his over-sized shorts. A lifetime of struggle etched his narrow face. Ah, but his eyes. They might be nestled in corrugated skin, but they shone like a teenager’s. Coiled with suppressed excitement, his t-shirt bore the improbable slogan ‘Born to be Wild’.

Weary tourists wandered down the street, eyes skimming the pressing, shoving crowd: worried, excited, fearful or joyful. Looking down before suddenly lighting up in recognition: a wave, a shout, a grin.

Eyes down, he meandered, checking, checking. There! He fell to his knees and reverently placed his hands in the indentations.




Hope you enjoyed this story and I look forward to your comments. 


If you wish to read more Friday Fictioneers stories, you can find them listed HERE


If you'd like to join in the challenge, you'll find all the information posted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields 


- her blog is listed on 'My Blog List' on the right hand side of this page.


On a final note - I always attempt to visit the blogs of everyone who comments on mine. If I haven't commented on yours it's either because I haven't been redirected to your blog when I've clicked on your name or because you have a wordpress account that requires me to sign into wordpress first. 
Please check and amend your settings. Thanks.










38 comments:

  1. Somehow this made me sad, his past glory faded away. At least he still gets the odd recognition of a few fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what I love about receiving feedback: how my stories are interpreted by the reader.

      Delete
  2. Dear Susan,

    Wonderful descriptions make this character walk off the page. Well done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rochelle. The description is based on someone I saw in an airport many years ago.

      Delete
  3. It's sad but for some reason, I felt he was a ghost because, when you mentioned his height and looks, I pictured Alan Ladd who killed himself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't know that about Alan Ladd! I was interested to read your interpretation.

      Delete
  4. Corrugated skin? That is a great and terrifying description. I'm reading this two ways. He's either a faded star who's returning to memories of former glory or he's a fan who's finally make this trek to see his favorite star's (maybe his child) hand prints. Either way, well done.

    Unrelated, I nominated you for a Leibster Award. I will NOT be offended if you don’t participate. These things are basically chain letters. I only participate out of respect for the people who nominated me. I don't know if there's cross-contamination with BlogSpot or if it's just a WordPress thing. Anyway, I thought of you. I often enjoy your stories.

    https://nobbinblog.wordpress.com/2020/08/07/liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaving this up to the reader to draw their own conclusions.

      Thank you for the nomination. I will investigate (no promises though). :)

      Delete
  5. I felt his focus among the chaos and am glad he was rewarded with what he sought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jade. Good to know my intention worked.

      Delete
  6. I never did quite feel connected to this stuff, but I can relate to the human search for recognition in fame, and to the many who feel lost without it. It is a beautiful rendition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fame is fleeting but memories live on as far as one soul remembers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great descriptions, I could picture this scene very clearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I pictured it very clearly when I was writing it, so it's good to know that I achieved my aim.

      Delete
  9. A sense of returning home? Something about those hand prints...
    Descriptive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you make your own interpretation on the story, Tannille. :)

      Delete
  10. At least he left his mark, and that's not faded away.

    Here's mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith. Yes indeed... if it really was his own hand prints, that he found. :)

      Delete
  11. That was lovely – tinged with the sadness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought I'd go a bit poignant this week, Helen. :)

      Delete
  12. I could actually see him, and I'm so glad he found his hero!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could feel this story. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill. Nice to know I managed to do that in 100 words. :)

      Delete
  14. Your descriptions are spot on, made me see the entire picture almost like a movie scene. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I do like writing descriptively - glad it worked. :)

      Delete
  15. I could not decide whether he was looking for his own hand prints or those of a hero of his. This makes the story all the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what I thought he was doing when I wrote it, and then the comments made me realise it was open to interpretation, so I've decided to just let the reader draw their own conclusions, Gabriella! :)

      Delete
  16. Lovely piece, thank you. I wonder who he used to be and when the glory faded away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback. Who was he? That's for you to decide. :)

      Delete
  17. Such descriptive, vivid writing! His excitement is palpable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely, positive feedback, Magarisa.

      Delete

Many thanks for commenting. I appreciate your feedback.