Wednesday 21 October 2020

ARTWORK - 100 word story

This week's Friday Fictioneer's photo prompt didn't give me any immediate inspiration. I left it to my subconscious to get to work and here's the result. 


PHOTO PROMPT – © Rochelle Wisoff-Fields


ARTWORK


She needed to move her latest body. But she was too busy. Who knew running a B&B to supplement her income would take up so much of her precious time?

These current guests were driving her barmy. So bloody demanding. We don't eat gluten. We don't eat dairy. We don't eat fruit.

She laid the breakfast table, muttering curses. Just one more, 'we don't eat...' and they'd end up wrapped in clay.

They ate. They left. Peace at last.

She returned to her latest body of work. Caressed the clay. It was probably her best sculpture yet.



I hope you enjoyed this story and I look forward to your comments. 


If you wish to read more Friday Fictioneers stories, you can find them listed HERE


If you'd like to join in the challenge, you'll find all the information posted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields 


- her blog is listed on 'My Blog List' on the right hand side of this page.


On a final note - I always attempt to visit the blogs of everyone who comments on mine. If I haven't commented on yours it's either because I haven't been redirected to your blog when I've clicked on your name or because you have a wordpress account that requires me to sign into wordpress first. 
Please check and amend your settings. Thanks.










38 comments:

  1. Dear Susan,

    Phew! For a moment I thought you meant body as in cadaver or corpse. Um, I don't eat gluten...;) Love the story though. So believable.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know that my deliberate ploy to misdirect worked. :)

      Delete
  2. So many needs to keep customers happy these days, I'm glad I dont work in hospitality. It's nice she has a distraction that gives her an escape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran a B&B for one brief season. The guests were highly enjoyable most of the time and highly difficult some of the time. :)

      Delete
  3. That was weird, Susan, very weird. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good! I wanted the reader to ponder what was going on. If you found it weird, I've achieved my aim. :)

      Delete
  4. Hmm....I kept thinking of Murder at the wax museum. I’m not sure I would want to go to that B&B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my intention was to cast doubt! Thanks for commenting, Birgit.

      Delete
  5. Excellent! You set us up very well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Just goes to show what strange things are swirling around in my brain, Liz!

      Delete
  7. Neat bit of misdirection Susan - you caught me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know how it is, Keith Sometimes you just have to wrong foot your reader. :)

      Delete
  8. Yikes! You set us up perfectly, and then relieved our fears. Excellent :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mwaaw ha ha...! (Thanks for the feedback, Linda.)

      Delete
  9. Haha! Glad it didn't turn out to be the macabre plot I thought it was going to be! Just another starving artist :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... unless there's something lurking under that clay...

      Delete
  10. I love how you misled us! And gah... is there anything worse than those who overstay their welcome?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My aim was mislead and make the reader wonder what is really going on here. :)

      Delete
  11. I like to think that one particularly fussy eater is the "centrepiece" of her latest sculpture :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's all in a day's work, i guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's found a way to alleviate her irritation when she gets fussy guests. :)

      Delete
  13. I was thinking of Fawlty Towers but she didn't give her guests the same treatment as Basil. No one died in the end so a nice misdirection in the tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I loved Fawlty Towers! Thanks for the feedback :)

      Delete
  14. Excellent misdirection, Susan. And you capture the frustration of a creative person having to spend time and effort earning a living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Penny. Always frustrating when you can't get on with what you enjoy doing.

      Delete
  15. Nice misdirect. I can sympathize. I hate how real life gets in the way of my art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm always being pulled away from my writing! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  16. And here I thought she was cooking meat-pies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he - always happy to know when I've managed to get the reader thinking and wondering.

      Delete
  17. Fabulous twist! I was expecting a real body. Though a clay one is certainly better!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Her frustration comes through loud and clear! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Magarisa - appreciate it. :)

      Delete
  19. Oh dear, I would like to see how many statues she has in her back garden. Creative arts given a whole new meaning lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek, yes! There might be a few out there. Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete

Many thanks for commenting. I appreciate your feedback.