Wednesday 27 January 2016

ON THE ROAD SURPRISES - Part 1

We all love surprises and there is something particularly delicious about being surprised when travelling. I think this is because the traveller is looking at the world around him or her with heightened senses and is hoping to be surprised by something new at every turn in the road. So, when the surprise occurs, the traveller mentally punches the air with a vindicated: YES!



Straw Men pushing bales, France

I was touring in France, in the Midi-Pyrenees with my husband when we rounded a bend and saw a sight that made us slam on the brakes. Here is the fabulously witty open-air art installation that stopped us in our tracks.






If you can turn the surprise into a story or article, all the better.








I hope you enjoyed this travel surprise - I'll be posting more over the next few weeks.






18 comments:

  1. I love surprises and particularly enjoyed that one as, at first sight, I thought I was looking at a herd of impeccably-trained sheep who were standing on their hind legs whilst rolling the bales. I confess to being a tad disappointed with the true picture, but nevertheless, surprises are surprises and are not to be sniffed at, regardless of the participation (or not) of farm animals.

    Helen Laycock

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheep eh, Helen? I suppose it's not so immediately obvious from a small photo - we had no trouble instantly seeing they were straw men in the field. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He he - I do like those straw men. I'd have had to stop for a closer look too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were très irrésistible et très photogénique, Patsy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan I think I would have driven right off the road! That is astounding. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Utterly brilliant - things like that really brighten the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was possibly the highlight of our tour... and it was a long tour!

      Delete
  7. Brilliant shots, Susan. Forget the guide books, it is what you find for yourself that makes a holiday.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Ann. The guide books only lead you to see what everyone else sees, but if you have time to explore away from the tourist haunts you can strike gold.

      Delete
  8. They're wonderful, Susan! Seredipitous finds make you feel like an explorer, don't they!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love things that make me smile, Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always delighted to share the wacky things in life, Jo.

      Delete
  10. Brilliant! That's exactly the kind of modern art I like (and understand!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great! I love whimsical humor like this. I hope it didn't cause anyone to veer off the road in surprise, though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bun - I know what you mean! Fortunately the road was very quiet so we had time to do a double-take and stop safely! :)

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for commenting. I appreciate your feedback.