Tuesday 5 January 2016

Wild Birds in West Cork

At this time of year the birds need a bit of extra help. 


Blue Tit


Our bird feeders are alive with blue tits, great tits, chaffinches, siskins and robins. The rooks and magpies make occasional attempts to snatch food from the feeders, with little success.


Thrush





Thrushes are shyer.













Curlew

Down on our local beach I often see cormorants, oyster catchers, herons, swans, herring gulls and curlews. 

Curlew


I’m still working on my ‘portfolio’ of bird photos! 









Wishing you a Happy and Prosperous 2016








4 comments:

  1. Lovely shot of the curlew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patsy. I've been trying to get a good curlew photo for a while now. Even though I use a telephoto lens the birds fly off before I can get in range. My next challenge is an oyster catcher who are even shyer than the curlews!

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year to you ad all of those lovely birds. It's quiet season for birds here. Seems to have something to do with all of this ice and snow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Sue. Yes - I should think Canada in winter provides for only the hardiest of birds!

      Delete

Many thanks for commenting. I appreciate your feedback.