Wednesday 1 April 2020

AN AUDIENCE - 100 word story

I'm tired of reading about the current world situation without writing about it again. Let's go upbeat this week.



PHOTO PROMPT © Douglas M. MacIlroy



An Audience


Ricky leaned back, tapping his teeth with his pencil. His latest song writing effort was proving tricky. Where was the muse when you needed it?

He re-worked the chorus.

'Oh, baby I miss you
You left me feeling blue
What am I going to do?
Do boop de boop, boo hoo.'

'Not half bad, Ricky lad.'
Why he hadn't sold any of his songs yet was a mystery.
'Just whistle a happy tune,' Ricky muttered launching into a chirpy whistle.
A bird landed on his window sill, cocking its head.
'Yay!' a delighted Ricky exclaimed. An appreciative audience, at last.




Hope you enjoyed this story and I look forward to your comments. 


If you wish to read more Friday Fictioneers stories, you can find them listed HERE


If you'd like to join in the challenge, you'll find all the information posted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields 


- her blog is listed on 'My Blog List' on the right hand side of this page.


On a final note - I always attempt to visit the blogs of everyone who comments on mine. If I haven't commented on yours it's either because I haven't been redirected to your blog when I've clicked on your name or because you have a wordpress account that requires me to sign into wordpress first. 
Please check and amend your settings. Thanks.










45 comments:

  1. It's all about knowing your audience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite! At least poor, deluded Ricky is now happy. :)

      Delete
  2. Do boop de boop, boo hoo!
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Susan,

    I'm with you. The obvious is around us. Why write stories about it, too? Loved your upbeat, tuneful story. Chirp!

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet.
    Much needed after all the doom and gloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tannille. I wanted to write something a little bit silly and hopefully make readers smile.

      Delete
  5. We artists will take any appreciation where we can find it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - my dog is pretty long suffering but she can't escape my singing. :)

      Delete
  6. Ricky needs a pet, then he'll have a captive audience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he - yes, a dog might be a good choice - or maybe a parrot?

      Delete
  7. Bless him, at least someone wants to hear his music! Made me smile, Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. If I made you smile I achieved my aim. :)

      Delete
  8. A good audience. The song may take flight :) Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it's a song - or a whistle - only a bird would appreciate.

      Delete
  9. Maybe he can borrow a chirpy tune from his audince :)
    I love the happy lyrics of his song!
    Sweet tale!
    Stay home. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anita. Maybe he should stick to whistling. :)

      Delete
  10. Love this and this is a much better song than many out there now! I am thinking of that song by Justin Bieber..blechhh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, don't mention JB! Thanks for commenting, Birgit.

      Delete
  11. He's away with the birds. Thanks for a brighter note.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for NOT going there... as for Ricky... an audience of one is still an audience ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like Ricky is satisfied anyway, Dale. :)

      Delete
  13. An enviable talent, calling birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he - all you gotta do is just put your lips together and blow.

      Delete
  14. Nice to have a chirpy story in the midst of this doom and gloom! If you're a performer at heart, you must have an audience, no matter who, no matter how few - otherwise you'll drive your friends and family potty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Listening to the simplistic piffle on the radio, I'm surprised Ricky isn't a big star. The bird's thinking, "Let me show you how to write a song."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he - surely there aren't any lyrics out there as bad as Ricky's! :)

      Delete
  16. Lighthearted and humorous, a nice change of pace from the news. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jade. I was determined to write something light this week.

      Delete
  17. Ricky Nelson, Maybe? Or am I just showing my age?

    Susan, I've seen your notice many times about making it possible for you to post on WP blogs, but I guess I just don't know how to make that happen. I'm going to do some investigating this week, if I can remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I wasn't hinting towards Ricky Nelson. I had to google who he was!
      Can't help you with WP settings, but hope you can discover how to change them. :)

      Delete
  18. i think the bird knows what's good for him. show appreciation or else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! A very chirpy story.

    ReplyDelete
  20. When you're missing some lyrics, fill the gaps with a few well-placed "de boops" and "ta dums" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good to have an appreicative audience. I 'conversed' with a robin last year - a thrilling memory!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A nice upbeat piece, in no way related to our current situation! Sounds food to me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Upbeat is definitely what's required, Susan. Very amusing, I don't think he's going to sell any songs soon though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No me neither, Michael. Poor, deluded Ricky. Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete

Many thanks for commenting. I appreciate your feedback.