Wednesday 8 July 2020

THE TRUTH ABOUT FAERIES - 100 Word Story

Some say they're all around us. But are they? 


PHOTO PROMPT @ A. Noni Mouse

The Truth About Faeries


Randolph stepped through the door calling out, 'I'm home.'
Silence.
He closed his eyes as a fresh wave of grief hit him. He had forgotten again. Randolph sighed, went into the kitchen and faltered.
The mountain of dirty dishes was washed and stacked.
Randolph frowned. He had not cleaned his kitchen for weeks, yet it was sparkling.
He recalled his argument with Batty Patty about faeries. Patty insisted they didn't only cause mischief but were responsible for good deeds when someone was in need.
Randolph said she was talking nonsense.
''You'd be surprised,' said Batty Patty.
Randolph was indeed surprised.


Hope you enjoyed this story and I look forward to your comments. 


If you wish to read more Friday Fictioneers stories, you can find them listed HERE


If you'd like to join in the challenge, you'll find all the information posted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields 


- her blog is listed on 'My Blog List' on the right hand side of this page.


On a final note - I always attempt to visit the blogs of everyone who comments on mine. If I haven't commented on yours it's either because I haven't been redirected to your blog when I've clicked on your name or because you have a wordpress account that requires me to sign into wordpress first. 
Please check and amend your settings. Thanks.







48 comments:

  1. My guess is Batty Patty is the fairy? Feel good story. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep you guessing! Thanks for commenting, Tannille.

      Delete
  2. Dear Susan,

    I wonder if Batty Patty didn't make the magic happen. Sweet story.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Batty Patty proved herself right by being the fairy!
    I believe in miracles & magic. May our lives have more of this!
    Happy story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but is she one of the Little People?? Glad you liked the story, Anita.

      Delete
  4. It was definitely the faeries! I am reminded of The Elves and the Shoemaker, my all time favourite Ladybird book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I think it might have been faeries too. I'm not familiar with The Elves and the Shoemaker story, Helen.

      Delete
  5. People's kindmess is the real magic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it? And kindness is what everyone needs right now.

      Delete
  6. My guess is Batty Patty did it to help him believe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, is Batty Patty related to Seamus and Paddy? Sure, they are Leprechauns, not Fairies, but how many humans really know the difference?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Batty Patty a female Leprechaun? Maybe, maybe... :)
    p.s. Leprechauns are a type of fairy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. one good rule to follow: be always on the good side of faeries. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he - yes, be nice to the Little People. :)

      Delete
  10. However it happened, I'm glad it did. Good story, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice surprise for Randolph, and a bit of joy to help with his grief. Nice story, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will have given him a little boost.

      Delete
  12. Would you send those fairies my way, please?
    Wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he - I'm not sure it works that way. Thanks for feedback, Dale.

      Delete
  13. You got Batty Patty's number, Susan?
    She sounds like my kinda gal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could do with one such fairy :) Lovely story Susan :)
    -Justjoyfulness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need the Little People in our lives sometimes! :)

      Delete
  15. Interesting read Susan!
    Check out my uptake on the prompt at wordpress too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aahana.
      I'd love to check your story and I will if I find it, but I can't reach it by clicking on your name!

      Delete
  16. Aw, that was sweet - I hope the presence of fairies helps him overcome his grief too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they'll decide to keep him company when he's feeling particularly lonely. :)

      Delete
  17. We could all do with a faerie in our life, but sadly they are about the only thing you can't get on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he - no, Amazon can't help with this one.

      Delete
  18. The last line wrapped it up nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very sweet story. I like how we go from sadness to comfort and a smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Gabriella. Glad to know the story worked for you.

      Delete
  20. The fairies not only cleaned, but they brought hope...quite lovely indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - perhaps this is a lesson to never underestimate what others can do for us. :)

      Delete
  21. A bitter-sweet story, I guess some of his friends have stepped in to play the role of the helpful fairy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever the truth of it - someone put a little magic back into his life.

      Delete
  22. What do faeries eat? I'll take two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many rumours about their preferred foods! :)

      Delete
  23. Oh that was sweet. I wonder if Batty Patty is doing anything this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The locals might call her 'Batty', but she has a heart of gold under her eccentricities.

      Delete
  24. What a kind gesture! Well-written and heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Magarisa - much appreciated.

      Delete
  25. Sounds like this is one fairy he certainly needs!

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for commenting. I appreciate your feedback.